A compendium of quotes from the Sept. 8 San Leandro mayoral forum:
- Said he was “black sheep” from a family of salespeople. “They tell jokes. Have stories. I don’t have those qualities.” Later says, “I have analytical skills.”
- Said to restore police force to full-strength.
- “Strong schools create strong cities.”
- “Only candidate with a plan to solve the budget crisis without a 10 percent sales tax.”
- Took jab at senior center contrasting it with 9th grade campus
- Said we should “look for businesses we think will thrive in the next 50 years.
- “We must define our values.”
- On Measure Z: “We need to raise taxes for now.”
- “I will put my two-cents aside and side with the majority of citizens.”
- On pensions: “They are unsustainable right now.”
- Called for “Green Marina.”
- Said youth can help keep E. 14th Street clean.
- “I want to eliminate new taxes.”
- “I want to restore honest government for the people, by the people.
- Review system of pensions to locate “obvious abuse.”
- On Marina: “We are going to continue what we’ve been doing. We need to make that marina self-sustaining. We need to make it more productive.”
- On pensions: “Your employees are working hard.”
- “I’m here to protect your public safety.”
- “People from foreign countries come up to me and say our streets are so clean.”
- How she differentiates herself “through experience and energy.”
- Would hire a full-time finance director
- “Spend within our means.”
- “The marina has always been a destination. We should build and sustain a good marina that will make us proud San Leandrans.” “We should not rush into it.”
- “We need to focus on more business.”