Former CA-17 GOP candidate jumps off the Trump Train after damaging video

Ron Cohen says video released Friday of Trump 
disparaging women is too much for him.

CONGRESS | 17TH DISTRICT |
ELECTION 2016 |
Former South Bay Republican congressional candidate Ron Cohen took some heavy heat earlier this year for being one of the first local conservatives to back Donald Trump. He even pledged to be one of Trump’s delegates to the Republican National Convention at a time when the Never Trump movement was actively seeking an alternative to the former TV host becoming the nominee.

However, wave after wave of scandal involving Trump was too much even for Cohen. After news broke Friday of a video showing Trump participating in ribald sexual banter about women, Cohen says he’s jumping off the Trump Train.

“Well, this is just too much. It is over. I withdrawal my support for Trump,” said Cohen, who finished fourth in the June primary race involving Rep. Mike Honda and Ro Khanna.

“Even in 2005, as a business leader; father of daughters; why in the world would he say such things in a bus full of people he just met, with a mic on his jacket?” said Cohen.

“This is not just some locker room chatter. It shows intent to use his celebrity status to intentionally exploit people—and specifically—women. It shows a lack of human humility, an essential part of leadership. Sadly, as in many situations, as the psychologists will tell you, it is not really about sex at all; it is about power.”

Cohen also believes Trump’s attempt to deflect outrage towards his comments on Bill Clinton is ill-advised and amounts to “Well, he’s worse!”

“That’s beyond childish,” added Cohen. “Except “childish” is not the right word, because this election is so important.”

Trump’s propensity for outrageous comments was a concern for Cohen even back in March. He told the East Bay Citizen that Trump’s history of making disparaging comments toward women was a concern.

Nonetheless, during the June primary, Cohen was unapologetic about his support for Trump, despite receiving numerous angry emails to his campaign website. “Saying it now, it’s not gratuitous or jumping on the bandwagon,” Cohen said in March when many conservative were considerably apprehensive about backing the controversial Republican.

A staunch fiscal conservative, Cohen believed Trump was the only candidate in the vast Republican presidential field able to reign in what he sees as a federal government racking up a dangerously high deficit.

Advertisements