A day after President Trump roiled the geopolitics of the Middle East by authorizing the assassination of Iran’s highest-ranking military commander, Sens. Bernie Sanders and Ro Khanna renewed an effort to limit military force in the region without the prior consent of congress.
Sanders and Khanna said Friday they plan to introduce legislation that will include withholding funding for war with Iran in the wake of the killing by U.S. forces of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani.
Many believe President Trump’s decision to take out Suliemani via a drone attack in Baghdad will trigger a strong response by Iran.
“Today, we are seeing a dangerous escalation that brings us closer to another disastrous war in the Middle East,” Khanna said in a statement on Friday. “A war with Iran could cost countless lives and trillions more dollars and lead to even more deaths, more conflict, more displacement in that already highly volatile region of the world.
Congress has the power to authorize war, but it has been eroded by a long list of recent presidents. But lawmakers have recently shown bipartisan interest in reestablishing their constitutional power.
Last year, Khanna led efforts to hand-tie Trump’s ability to provide U.S. military assistance on behalf of Saudi Arabia in their bloody conflict in Yemen.
Khanna even attracted the backing of Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz, a strong Trump supporter, for the legislation.
In a major rebuke by Congress of Trump, the bill was approved, but later removed from the National Defense Authorization Act bill that was approved and signed by Trump last month.